Maximize Talent Attraction & Retention, Productivity and Cost
Our life sciences experts will work with you to find the ideal environment to support your recruitment and retention strategy and drive productivity in a cost-efficient manner. Our team is specialized in sourcing all levels of lab and manufacturing facilities, and understands that each of our clients has unique and sophisticated needs.
Whether you are looking to lease, purchase, build or rationalize capacity, the team offers detailed local market knowledge, industry expertise and international connectivity to expedite even the most complex project.
Contact us to start working on your optimal solution today.
Our clients that require new or expanded space benefit from our proven expertise in the following areas:
- Optimal location solutions for talent attraction, accessibility, operational efficiency, specialized requirements, incentives and more
- Negotiating occupancy cost savings
- Flexibility for changing circumstances, including rapid growth, unforeseen setbacks in trial results, M&A and more
- Securing favourable capital investment structure with landlords
- Protection from unrecognized exposures over the life of a lease
And our clients who own, develop or are converting buildings for life sciences use can accelerate the performance of their assets by taking advantage of our knowledge of:
- Capitalization and credit of growing drug development companies
- Infrastructure and capital requirements of research lab and manufacturing facilities
- Life cycle factors shaping transaction structuring for life sciences users
Occupiers and landlords can leverage the strong relationships our members have cultivated with partners across the life sciences ecosystem, both nationally and in their local clusters including:
- Venture and private equity
- Design, engineering and construction
- Talent and recruitment
- Equipment and consumables
- State, local and municipal government
- Economic development
The time is now for the life sciences sector to thrive on Canadian soil
McMaster Innovation Park Podcast
Colliers Global Investor Outlook Report Anticipates Up to 50% Surge in Global Investment in 2021
Life Sciences In Canada Report 2023
Canada's life sciences industry is booming and presents a promising investment opportunity in 2023. The industry is supported by a highly skilled talent pool, sophisticated real estate, and spending. The government's recent announcement of the Strategic Innovation Fund will further boost the innovation ecosystem and provide stability for firms taking on high-risk research initiatives.
Life Science companies require sophisticated properties and sophisticated owners who understand the complex needs of occupiers. Matthew Jonson shares insights on the Life Sciences sector for RENX.
Understanding Your Requirements
Whether it be pharmaceuticals, genomics, cellular and gene therapies or medical imaging, we have a deep understanding of your business and how that aligns with your real estate.
Continuum of Biotech Space
- Up to 2,500 SF
- Bench space within an incubator facility (example JLABS)
- Shared laboratory facilities
- Month to month, to 1 year
- Minimal capital investment needed as most equipment and furniture is provided by incubator facility
Source: Wexford Science & Technology
Step-Up (Graduation Space)
- 2,500 – 5,000 sq ft.
- Portion of a floor in either an incubator or separate building
- Potential to have private lab facility but typically will target a shared lab environment
- 1-3 Years
- Potential need for landlord capital investment if a private lab facility needs to be built by the organization
Source: Wexford Science & Technology
Scale-Up (Graduation Space)
- 5,000 – 10,000 sq ft.
- Moved on from incubator space, typically in a private facility
- Portion of a floor up to a full floor tenant in a lab ready or converted building
- 3+ years
- A need for landlord capital investment likely required to assist with fit-out cost of the laboratory space
Source: Wexford Science & Technology
- 10,000 sq ft.
- Depending on the size of the building, typically a 2+ floor tenant
- Potential own the property or lease an entire standalone building
- 7+ years
- Large capital investment needed to fit-out the laboratory facility
Source: Wexford Science & Technology
- Basic laboratory designed for the safe handling and storing of Risk Group 1 Biological Material.
- RG1 Biological Materials are defined as a micro-organism, nucleic acid or protein that is not capable of causing human or animal disease.
- Lab is ideal for microbiological laboratory practices, large scale production areas and animal work areas.
- Authorized to handle or store human and animal pathogens or toxins.
- Physical containment requirements in place to mitigate the risks associated with the pathogen and toxins handled within the facility.
- Stringent facility design and engineering controls (i.e. inward directional airflow, high efficiency particulate air filtration).
- Specialized biosafety equipment to minimize the release of infectious materials outside containment zones.
- Highest level of containment available to work safely with the most serious and deadly human and animal diseases.
Synaptive Medical Inc
Nearly decade-long relationship with fast-growing and dynamic medical device firm. We have negotiated, expanded and extended multiple leases and terminations, including their lab, office and warehouse facilities.
Think Research Inc
Long-time medical technology client whom we have represented during their rapid growth, which saw them relocate from a space less than 10,000 square feet to their recent HQ negotiation of nearly 100,000 square feet.
Celebrated Toronto-based company utilizing artificial intelligence to build genetic therapies that we are advising with regards to their future lab and head office property project.
Fortune 25 health insurance company that we are supporting as they enter Canada and establish their International Headquarters.
Senior Vice President I Sales Representative
Throughout my career, I have been passionate about the development of real estate strategies and helping significant organizations optimize their facilities. Each entity that we advise is unique, and our strategies are tailored to meet the business and operational requirements of each individual client. We understand our clients have unique facility and property needs, and we have developed extensive technical knowledge as a result.
Working with many organizations in the med-tech and life sciences field, as well as prominent charitable and insitutional organizations with sensitive populations - we prioritize understanding the busines and operational needs of our clients and the needs of their clients. We understand that the people whom drive the success and productivity of our client organizations are their most important assets. Our strategies are built to ensure that our clients' people thrive and enjoy their work environments.
I have had the privilege to work with talented people at leading organizations in various sectors including: Think Research ,Synaptive Medical, eSight, Perimeter Medical Imaging, Ronald McDonald House, Plan International Canada, Unifor, Toronto Lands Corporation, Toronto Catholic District School Board, Durham Catholic District School Board, Durham District School Board, Toronto United Church Council, and many others. My team's diverse experience with occupiers in both the private and public sector provides me with a broad perspective built upon an extensive foundation of real estate knowledge, allowing me to deliver the highest level of service to my clients.
To learn more about our team's specialized service offering, and technical knowledge, please contact me at (416) 643.3754, or feel free to email me any time at [email protected].
Executive Vice President | Personal Real Estate Corporation
Marco has 20 years of experience with Colliers, working primarily with the users of real estate. His unbiased and creative approach emphasizes strategic real estate planning based on the corporate objectives and business needs of his clients. In his early career Marco’s focus was on the representation of owners and landlords, which enabled him to obtain an intimate understanding of different types of ownership structures, each of which requires a unique negotiating strategy. This experience, combined with his extensive market knowledge, enhances Marco`s ability to advise his clients and achieve favourable outcomes on lease negotiations and dispositions.
Senior Vice President | Personal Real Estate Corporation
Since joining Colliers in 2005, Dan has completed lease transactions totaling over 1 million square feet. He has been nominated for multiple awards and recently won the coveted 2014 NAIOP/BIV Office Lease of the Year.
Dan has built a strong reputation for providing his clients with the highest level of service. Using his unparalleled knowledge of the Vancouver office market and creative, business-driven real estate strategies, Dan has been able to successfully complete a variety of transactions on behalf of his clients both locally and nationally.
Dan provides tenants with integrated services, helping to align their real estate requirements with business-driven strategies, customized to suit their exact needs.
Dan provides his clients with strategic guidance for a variety of leasing projects such as:
- Sublease disposition
- Lease negotiation and restructuring
- Project marketing
- Landlord consultation
Dan prides himself on his professionalism, business ethics, and dedication to client satisfaction.
Senior Vice President
As a Senior Vice President with over 27 years of experience within commercial real estate, Mike specializes in office leasing, selling and buying premises in the GTA market.
Mike’s 27-year expertise includes serving as an expert in arbitration cases, providing commercial appraisal consultations, and performing valuations within all forms of commercial real estate (from land through to completed projects). He has a strong background in real estate analytics, working with the research and market intelligence teams, including market studies and trends analyses since 1992.
In 2011, Mike was a founding partner at Ellington Real Estate and Tenant Facilities, where he worked on the integration of workplace solutions, project management and the user experience in occupying space for his clients within the GTA. This experience has given him a strong understanding for Small-to-Medium-Enterprise (SME) business needs and ways to solve their real estate requirements.
Since re-joining Colliers International in 2016, Mike has become a leader on several industry verticals, namely tech, finance, and health and has experience working with multi-market projects from big bank and insurance to privately held companies. Mike is passionate about solving his clients’ business requirements and strategy development using his strong skills of lease negotiation, building acquisitions and dispositions.
In his personal life, Mike is an avid sports fan and coaches a Toronto AAA baseball team. In addition to being a baseball fan, Mike is an undisputed darts champion within the Colliers office and takes on all challengers willing to have a friendly competition.
Senior Sales Representative
Richard specializes in office leasing, with a primary focus on tenant representation. He prides himself on his honest and professional approach to doing business, as well as his superior knowledge of both the downtown and midtown markets in Toronto. His understanding of current market trends allows him to advise his clients on how to position their business with regard to their real estate requirements. Richard always acts in the best interest of his clients and is dedicated to providing value and achieving success in assisting them with either their renewal or relocation of their office space.